A Review of the 1963 Season

Doug Insole became the new Club President in 1963 and in that year the 1st eleven won six games out of nineteen. Robin Hobbs was now a regular in the County side and Graham Saville made his debut for the County, scoring 23 and 48 against Sussex at Hove.

In the first half of the season, Ted Sandrock had some great innings, with 92* in the Sunday As v Walthamstow, and 81 v Lensbury and Graham Saville, when available hit 99 v Winchmore Hill, 64 v Enfield, 62 v Wanstead and 55 v Lensbury. Buddy Jessop’s name features prominently in the bowling honours as usual – including 6-15 v Woodside Park -, but the star performer was Robin Hobbs who took 7-18 v Mill Hill off 13.5 overs and the week before 6-25 off 18 overs v The Mote.

In the seconds under Peter Norgate, Mick Carr hit an unbeaten 88 v Ilford and with the ball Tom Shepherd took 6-43 v Loughton and 5-68 v Chelmsford, Bryan Hart 5-18 v Brentwood and Roger Cockrell 5-27 v Mill Hill.

Les Stubbings took an amazing 8-13 v Winchmore Hill as the 3rds bundled out Winchmore Hill for 61

1963 saw improved facilities for the 3rd eleven with home matches to be played at the London Transport Ground in Kitchener Road, Walthamstow. The first game there was incredible with Chingford, having been bowled out for 44 going on to win the match by dismissing Chelmsford for 39!

The Married v Single game at the end of the season threw up some interesting names. The singles were 5 short of victory with two wickets in hand when Buddy Jessop promptly took both wickets to give the marrieds victory by a single run.

Agreement was finally reached on the scorebox situation with permission agreed to erect the building, provided that access was at the side, and did not overlook the garden behind.

In July Doug Insole wrote to the Council asking if the Club could buy the freehold of Forest Side and this was followed by a meeting in October when Messrs Dennis, Warner and Jones met the Council. They discussed their plans for extensive improvements to facilities and a new pavilion and the District Valuer agreed to look into the possibility of a 25-50 year lease. This was resolved  by the Council offering a 50 year lease from 1 January 1964 at £260 per annum for the first 7 years, £30 for the next seven and £420 thereafter, with the Club becoming responsible for all repairs and maintenance for the first time.